Maisel Synagogue

Maiselova 10, Praha 1

Synagogue

Show image detail
Address:Maiselova 10, Praha 1
Capacity:90
Winter heating:Yes
Wheelchair access:Yes
Reviews: (27)

The neo-Gothic Maisel Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter holds permanent exhibitions and occasional concerts

The Maisel Synagogue located in Josefov, Jewish Quarter was erected in 1592 on the basis of a privilege granted by Emperor Rudolf II. Its founder was Mordecai Maisel, the Mayor of the Prague Jewish Town. Built by Judah Tzoref de Herz and Josef Wahl, it was originally a Renaissance temple with three naves, which was unusual for its day.

The synagogue was severely damaged in the ghetto fire of 1689 and has been rebuilt several times. It acquired its current Neo-Gothic form by Prof. A Grotte in 1893-1905. Currently, author readings as well as highly acclaimed concerts take place at the Maisel Synagogue

Permanent exhibition: 

On display is a wealth of rare collection objects, each placed in a new layout and proper context after a recent comprehensive reconstruction of the Maisel Synagogue. Touch screens enable visitors to look through old Hebrew manuscripts and to view historical maps of Jewish settlements.

Visitors are also encouraged to search the museum's database for information about prominent Jewish figures. In the evening hours, the exhibition area is often transformed into an auditorium and used as a venue for concerts, recitals and solo theatre performances.

Please note:

There is a barrier-free entrance. 

How to get there:

  • Accessibility by Prague public transport:
    metro A (green line) - Staroměstská station
    trams Nos. 2, 17, 18 - Staroměstská stop
  • Nearest car parking:
    Parking Rudolfinum, Alšovo nábřeží 12

Upcoming events