St. Nicholas Church on the Old Town Square has one of the most remarkable church interiors in Prague.
This monumental baroque church of St. Nicholas on Prague Old Town Square is a masterpiece created by a genius of his time Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer. Completed in 1737, the church was first owned by the Catholic Church, later by the Orthodox Church and now it belongs to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church founded here in 1920. The original design of the ceiling, frescoes (by K. D. Assam), stucco decoration (by B. Spinetti) and statues (by A. Braun) are a masterful example of the baroque sense of dramatic effect. Completed by a splendid chandelier, donated to the Orthodox Church by Russian Tsar Alexander II. in 1880, St. Nicholas church on Old Town Square has one of the most impressive church interiors in Prague. The front of the church was originally located at a small square called "Hen Market" and the church itself was surrounded by many other buildings, hence its strange orientation. The house right next to the church stands on the birthplace of Franz Kafka. Popular classical music concerts in St. Nicholas Church are among the most favourite ones. After the evening concert, the Old Town Square enlighted by lanterns and night lighted Church of Our Lady before Tyn are an unforgetable sight!
St. Nicholas church on Old Town square is heated during the winter.
The church as such is not wheelchair accessible, as there are stairs to enter. No lift, no ramp. However, before each concert there are assistants ready to carry the wheelchair in the church.
Walking distance from Prague Ticket Office - Via Musica shop on Old Town Square:
less than 3 minutes, it is just the other side of Old town square.
Accessibility by Prague public transport:
metro A (green line) - Staromestska stop, trams 17, 18 - Staromestska stop
Nearest car parking: Rudolfinum Parking, Alsovo nabrezi 12, Praha 1