A monastery Baroque church of St. Francis next to the Charles Bridge have a long tradition of organ concerts
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi from 1688 belonging to the Order of the Red Cross is an exceptional work of a Burgundy architect Jean Baptiste Mathey. Inconspicuous from outside, the church is in fact very important part of the Old Town skyline.
In Baroque times, this building inspired by the contemporary Roman architecture came across in Prague as a revelation and became a model for many contemporary architects. Interior decorations stand out by their sophistication dominated by a fresco of the Last Judgement by the famous Prague Baroque painter Vaclav Vavrinec Reiner.
St. Francis Church houses the second oldest organ in Prague played by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Antonin Dvorak and other famous musial personalities. Nowadays classical and organ concerts are held at St. Francis of Assisi church. Organ concerts at Knights of the Cross are drafted as one hour long coherent programmes. Besides compositions of world known masters of baroque and classicism you can hear music of Czech authors. Popular dramaturgy (which is, however, artistically valuable) completes rich sound of organ and its combination with solo instruments or vocal, so listener is always surprised by new colours and sound variations. Usually three artists perform at the concerts – soloists of our prominent opera and orchestra ensembles, pedagogues of the Academy of Music and Prague conservatory.
* Walking distance from Prague Ticket Office - Via Musica shop on Old Town Square:
* Accessibility by Prague public transport:
metro A (green line) - Staromestska stop, tram 17 - Staromestska or Karlovy Lazne stops
* Nearest car parking:
Rudolfinum Parking, Alsovo nabrezi 12, Praha 1