Tragic story of the court jester Rigoletto is based on Victor Hugo’s drama Le roi s’amuse
Together with La traviata and Il trovatore, Rigoletto (1851) is an opera that made Verdi famous worldwide. Verdi’s splendid melodies and the masterful depiction of the lead characters still enchant opera-lovers around the world.
Rigoletto´s beautiful daughter Gilda falls victim to her father’s promiscuous master, the Duke of Mantua. The genesis of the work, written for the Teatro La Fenice, was quite dramatic in itself. The Venice police intervened and subjected the original version to censorship, claiming that the theme was “tastelessly immoral” and “offensive to His Royal Majesty”.
Soloists of the State Opera
State Opera Orchestra
State Opera Chorus
- The price includes service fee of 3,7 € (100,- CZK)
- Printed tickets required.
- The program may be subject to change.
- Purchased tickets cannot be returned or exchanged.
- No discounts are provided.
- Theatre is a cultural institution. Please respect the common principles of appropriate behaviour and clothing.
- Check the agenda of Prague opera and ballet performances at the National Theatre.