The former church of St. Lawrence below Petrin was founded in 12th century.
A single-aisle Romanic building from the mid-12th century went through the extensive Gothic reconstruction in around 1378, when a side aisle was added to the church, with a cross vault and a sacristy. Around 1390, the interior of the church was decorated with beautiful paintings by an unknown author. Among the most beautiful paintings belongs the painting of St. Dorothea and St. Lawrence, Virgin Mary and St. Andrew.
Nowadays, the church serves as a concert hall, hosting chamber concert of classical music and jazz.
The church also went through a Baroque reconstruction. In 1784 it was abolished and changed to a residential house with small flats. In 1935 the Czechoslovak Church purchased the building in order to return the church into the original state, but they did not have enough money. It was not until 1985 - 91 that the object went through a general reconstruction according to a project of ing. arch. Josef Hyzler.
The church was turned into a musical and exhibition hall, with maximum possible preservation of its original architectural qualities.
It is nowadays used for the concerts within the festival Prague Spring, chamber concerts of jazz and alternative music and for recording of Renaissance and Baroque music.
* Walking distance from Prague Ticket Office - Via Musica shop on Old Town Square:
* Accessibility by public transport:
trams 12, 20, 22, 91 - Hellichova stop
* Nearest car parking:
Malostranske Square (upper part) or Drtinova 9 Parking