St. Nicholas Church is a jewel of Baroque architecture known for its long tradition of excellent organ classical concerts.
The Church of St Nicholas, the most famous Baroque church in Prague, stands in the centre of the Lesser Town Square. Today’s Church of St Nicholas is one of the most valuable Baroque buildings north of the Alps. Built in 1745-47, the main organ has over 4,000 pipes up to six metres in length.
Great organ classical music concerts are given almost everyday.
The Church of St Nicholas is a superb example of High Baroque architecture, a building that astonishes visitors with its size and monumental interior. As the most prominent and distinctive landmark in the Lesser Town, no panoramic view of the city would be complete without its silhouette below Prague Castle.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the church's organ during his stay in Prague. Shortly after his death Prague paid tribute to him inviting members of the Prague Theatre Orchestra to perform Requiem by his contemporary F. A. Rossler-Rosetti in St. Nicholas Church.
Nowadays, concert dramaturgy revolves not only around the liturgical year but also around national holidays celebrated in various countries. Thanks to this lively music tradition St. Nicholas Church in Lesser Town has been one of the most important centers of cultural life and spiritual music and classical music in Prague.
About the organ in St. Nicholas church
The church is open for visitors daily from 9.00 to 17.00.
Walking distance from Prague Ticket Office - Via Musica shop on Old Town Square
Accessibility by public transport
metro A (green line) - Malostranska stop, trams 12, 20, 22, 91 - Malostranske namesti stop
Nearest car parking: