St. Nicholas church on Old Town Square in Prague is well known for its breathtaking interior and excellent acoustics.
This monumental baroque church of St. Nicholas in Prague, at the corner of Old Town Square is a masterpiece created by a genius of his time Kilian Ignac Dienzenhofer. Finished in 1737, the church was first owned by the Catholic Church, later by the Orthodox Church and edifice now now belongs to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church founded here in 1920.
The house directly adjacent to the church is a birthplace of Franz Kafka.
Without any doubt we can really recommend a visit of St. Nicholas church for a concert of classical music in Prague.
The original design of ceiling, frescoes (by K. D. Assam), stucco decoration (by B. Spinetti) and statues (by A. Braun) are a masterful example of the baroque sense of the effect. Completed by a beautiful chandelier, donated to the Orthodox Church by Tsar Nicholas II. in 1880, St. Nicholas church on Old Town Square has one of the most impressive church interiors in Prague.
Popular classical music concerts in St. Nicholas church are among the most favourite ones.
An indisputable advantage is the fact that after the evening concert you get directly to night Old Town Square and it is really unforgetable sight! Night lighted Church of Our Lady before Tyn is beautiful!
St. Nicholas church on Old Town square is one of the few Prague churches, which is heated in winter!
Opening hours: Monday - Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday from 12 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Entrance to the temple area is free.
Religious services are held every Sunday at 10 a.m.
Walking distance from Prague Ticket Office - Via Musica shop on Old Town Square:
less than 3 minutes, it is just the other side of Old town square.
Accessibility by Prague public transport:
metro A (green line) - Staromestska stop, trams 17, 18 - Staromestska stop
Nearest car parking: Rudolfinum Parking, Alsovo nabrezi 12, Praha 1